Data and Privacy
We take your privacy very seriously. However, to provide the MacGuffin service, it's necessary to collect, store, access, process, and in some cases make public data about MacGuffin users. By using MacGuffin you expressly agree to us using your data for the following purposes:
i) Personal Data
We will collect, store, access and process personal data for the following purposes:
* Providing a customised experience to users (for example, bookmarking their previously read stories, providing a different homepage for experienced users, enabling users who have uploaded stories to access a control panel to edit and delete those stories).
* Communicating with users (for example, to request that they verify their account details, to resolve a technical problem, or to moderate a dispute).
* Investigating technical problems relating to the use of MacGuffin.
* Investigating claims of copyright infringement.
* investigating misuse (for example, when a user has been reported to us for adding abusive tags to stories, we may review other tags they have added to other stories and delete them where necessary).
* Internal reports, research reports, and reports to the funders of Comma Press and the MacGuffin project.
ii) Data About Stories
When an end-user publishes a story on MacGuffin, analytics data about that story (see Anonymous Data below) will be publicly available for other MacGuffin users to view.
iii) Anonymous Data
We will collect, store, access, process and make public anonymised analytics data as follows:
* How many times a story has been consumed.
* Where in the world a story has been consumed (NB, this data is ‘fuzzified’ into a 25x25 km grid).
* Whether a story has been read or listened to.
* The ratio of reads/listens of a story.
* The rating given to the text and audio of a story.
* The ‘drop-out’ points when readers stopped consuming a story.
* The tags searches that led users to find a story.
* Trending tags and other tag-related data.
In certain circumstances, it may be possible for anonymous analytics data to be used to re-identify users.
Example. The following steps could lead to re-identification on MacGuffin:
* I read a story on MacGuffin and elect to share it on Facebook.
* The MacGuffin analytics panel shows that I am the only person to have read that story.
* The MacGuffin analytics panel shows a pin on the map, which indicates the approximate location of the reader (which must be me, as the only reader of that story).
* I then read an erotic story on MacGuffin.
* I am the only reader of that story.
* The MacGuffin analytics panel shows a pin on the map in the same place or close to the pin for the story that I previously elected to share on Facebook.
* Another MacGuffin user who knows me on Facebook deduces that I am also the person who read the erotic story.
We believe that analytics data will help writers to understand how their work is being read and shared. However, MacGuffin also has an ‘Incognito Mode’. When reading a story in Incognito Mode, data about that reading event will not be stored or made public on MacGuffin, and will not appear in the analytics for that story. If you switch to incognito while reading or listening to a story, data about that reading event will be retroactively deleted from our database, and will not appear in the analytics for that story. While using Incognito Mode is likely to reduce the risk of identification or re-identification of MacGuffin users, we cannot guarantee that identification or re-identification will not occur.
Click here to learn more about recent changes to Incognito Mode (28/7/2015).
Identification and Re-Identification Damages Waiver
While we will do our best to prevent inadvertent identification and/or re-identification of MacGuffin users, we cannot guarantee that it will not happen. By using MacGuffin, you expressly agree that Comma Press shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive, consequential or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, personal injury, property, bodily, moral or material damage of any nature whatsoever, or any other intangible losses (even if Comma Press has been advised of the possibility of such losses or damages), resulting from identification or re-identification of individual users from analytics data available on MacGuffin.